Friday 2 March 2012

Plenary indulgence: Fridays in Lent


Here is the text of the prayer known as the En ego. On the Fridays of Lent a plenary indulgence may be gained by reciting this prayer after Holy Communion before an image of the Crucified. The usual conditions apply.

Behold, O kind and most sweet Jesus, I cast myself upon my knees in thy sight, and with the most fervent desire of my soul I pray and beseech thee that thou wouldst impress upon my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity, with true contrition for my sins and a firm purpose of amendment; while with deep affection and grief of soul I ponder within myself and mentally contemplate thy five wounds, having before my eyes the words which David the prophet put on thy lips concerning thee, O good Jesus: ‘They have pierced my hands and my feet, they have numbered all my bones.’

No comments:

Post a Comment